Furniture supports important day-to-day activities, apart from the fact that a house cannot be a home without welcoming decor and stylish furniture.
Is it time to invest in some beautiful furniture for your home? Discover all the furniture stores and suppliers in Malta on Yellow.
Furniture Types and Styles
Furniture is designed to cater for important human functions like eating, sleeping, or sitting. It is for this reason that primitive forms of furniture can be traced back to prehistoric times. Over the centuries, furniture has evolved to provide more comfort and functionality. It has also served as a means of expressing various artistic influences that reflect different eras or design movements.
While there are many furniture styles to choose from nowadays, the principal styles that are most commonly found in interior design are the following:
- Classic Furniture: There are various furniture styles that can be classified as classic - Victorian, Georgian, Tudor, Louis XV and French provincial are all classic since they all feature very elaborate details that include curves and the use of rich materials.
- Contemporary Furniture: These are present-day styles that very often also feature simple lines and a clean aesthetic.
- Retro Style Furniture: This type of furniture is inspired by the styles of previous decades (primarily from the 1950s to the 1980s) reinterpreted for current tastes.
- Modern Furniture: This type of furniture is inspired by the modernist design period that originated at the beginning of the 20th century and features a minimalist style and smooth surfaces.
- Scandinavian Furniture: As the term implies, this style originated in northern European countries and is distinguished by its emphasis on functionality, light colours and lack of clutter.
- Shabby Chic Furniture: This popular style is characterised by heavily distressed painted finishes, soft colours and a romantic vintage-inspired feel.
- Industrial Furniture: Taking inspiration from older factories and industrial spaces, this style incorporates a lot of metals combined with darker wood.
- Rustic Furniture: Inspired by nature and traditional craftsmanship, this type of furniture features natural wood, a worn appearance and a homely feel.
Furniture Shops in Malta
There is a large selection of furniture stores distributed across Malta and Gozo which are equipped to offer hardwood furniture, softwood furniture, distressed furniture, engineered wood furniture, solid furniture and teak furniture.
If it is time to shop for furniture, it is recommended to visit a few outlets to identify the options available on the market. This will enable you to identify the items that fall within your price range, style and the dimensions of your property.
These shops have in-house experts that will be able to give you free consultations and free quotes for your specific requirements, particularly if you are looking for tailor-made furniture. Prices can vary considerably and are primarily dependent on the type of wood, finish and the dimension of the item that you are looking at. Delivery options in Malta and Gozo are typically offered by the shops themselves but furniture movers can also transport your new furniture to your house.
What to Look for When Buying Furniture?
A well-furnished residence must include an extensive selection of home furniture that includes living room furniture, a beautiful dining table and coordinated chairs, a cozy bedroom set-up and a comfortable sofa.
Furnishing your new house or updating the furniture to give your residence a fresher look is an important investment. It is therefore a good idea to keep in mind a few key tips when you are making your selection:
- Look for the best quality pieces in your price range - While it is important to stick to your budget, it is a good idea to do as much research as possible to identify which items offer the best value for money. As a rule of thumb, it makes sense to buy furniture that is at the top of your budget if it is made of natural wood or features good craftsmanship.
- Start with the priorities - Furnishing your new home can get expensive quickly, so it is a good idea to create a list of essential furniture items that you cannot move in without and then add more items gradually.
- Stick to a neutral palette - It is a good idea to stick to a more timeless neutral colour scheme for the more expensive pieces and then add colour and interesting details through accessories and smaller items.
- Maximise your space - The furniture you choose can help you make the best use of your space. For instance, bunk beds or items with storage space are good furniture choices for small spaces.
Don't forget to check out our favourite colour palettes for your home, if you'd like some decor inspiration!